|Restrictions:||WWU applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Program Type Category:||Photo Contest||Language Prerequisite:||No|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10004Minimum GPA:
The WWU Education Abroad (EdAbroad) Annual Photo Contest is designed to encourage returned or current education abroad participants to share their experience abroad with the WWU community.
Application will open Tuesday, November 1, 2022! Open to all WWU students who studied abroad on WWU approved programs during the 2022 Calendar Year.
Deadline: November 11, 2022 at 11:59pm (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Academic Year, & Calendar Year Programs)
Requirements and Submission Instructions:
- Students must have participated, or are currently participating on an approved WWU study abroad program AND have a complete an EdAbroad application to be eligible.
- Only one entry per category is allowed. See categories below.
- Submit your photograph in digital format through the online application as instructed.
- Images must be no larger than 2Mb with a resolution of at least 240dpi. Photos that do not meet these specifications WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Complete all online application materials in full and include required information for each entry as instructed in the questionnaires online. Your written explanation of the photo, its significance, and the impact it had on you is as important as the photo itself.
Please Note: Only fully completed online applications will be considered. Photos will be uploaded to Facebook and/or Instagram for online voting/liking, followed by an EdAbroad Panel Review. Both Facebook/Instagram voting results and the EdAbroad Panel Review will be factors in the selection of winners for each category. Upon completion of the contest, all contestants will be notified of the results through the WWU email system. Winners will be announced by November 23, 2022!
For all Contestants and Winners:
- All photo entries will be displayed on the Education Abroad website, Instagram, Facebook page, Western's Multimedia Archives Based Electronic Library (MABEL), and potentially other websites.
- The winning photographs within each category may be printed in poster format with your photo and quote and featured on display around campus as well as being featured in Miller Hall.
Submission categories:International Places:
Photographs of you discovering important natural or urban landmarks, architecture or landscapes.
Photographs of learning abroad in & outside the classroom- featuring photos of you at your university, study center, or field-study site.
Discovering Local Culture:
Photographs of you exploring traditions, people, festivals, sports, dress or other activities relevant to the host culture.
WWU Pride Abroad:
Photographs of WWU students sporting WWU gear abroad.
That Ah-Hah! Moment:
Photographs that capture something you saw or experienced while abroad that significantly impacted or inspired you.
Most Epic Selfie:
Photographs that feature you in epic scenes abroad (please make sure this is a "selfie").
Best Photographer Skills:
Photographs that display your talents as a photographer or that captured that perfect moment in time.
EdAbroad seeks to honor the resilience Western students showed as the global pandemic has progressed. Your submission might include photos featuring host families, roommates, faculty, staff, and friends from abroad; potential quarantine or isolation abroad; virtual/remote learning from the US or abroad; or photos that feature your study abroad location as the global pandemic has progressed. As you reacquaint yourself with these images and memories, be sure to engage in self-care and always remember that the WWU Counseling and Wellness Center offers different types of support for Western students.
EdAbroad staff will vote and select a feature photograph from all submissions as the "Staff Favorite."
PLEASE NOTE: For all entries, your written explanation of the photo, its significance, and the impact it had on you is as important as the photo itself.
When you click on "Apply Now," please select, Fall Quarter 2022 for the Available Term and then you will be prompted to enter the itinerary destination and dates for your education abroad experience. If you traveled to more than one location, you may enter multiple itineraries.